Best Auto Insurance Companies for Golf Carts (2021)
Golf carts have become a fun means of transportation within gated communities and vacation destinations. While looking for the best auto insurance companies for golf carts, it's important to keep in mind that the best golf cart insurance can be bundled in with your regular auto policy.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Oct 19, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Golf cart insurance has many similar coverage types to a typical car insurance policy
- You can buy coverage to help pay for injuries or damage to someone else’s property
- Even if your area doesn’t require you to have golf cart insurance, you may want to think about getting one anyway.
What is golf cart insurance?
Like most insurance for all other motor vehicles, the cost of golf cart insurance depends on a few key factors. Fortunately for golf cart owners, these vehicles are not typically driven on heavily trafficked roads and have speed inhibitors to help regulate these risk factors.
This reduces the insurer’s risk as well as the policyholder’s total cost. Even though golf carts are typically covered under specialized insurance policies, they are generally less expensive to insure.
If you plan on driving your golf cart on public roads, your insurance requirements will be different depending on your state or county regulations.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
What are the best auto insurance companies for golf carts?
As with a lot of companies nowadays, many of them sell golf cart insurance. Insurance requirements for golf carts will vary by state, but it’s worth having a golf cart insurance policy even if your state doesn’t mandate one.
According to a study done by the AJPM, an estimated 147,696 individuals were treated in the U.S. for injuries related to golf carts. The number of injuries related to golf carts increased steadily each year, with an increase of 132.3% over the 17-year study period this study was conducted.
Even though golf carts are considered low-speed vehicles and the rate of accidents is far less than that of a traditional motorized vehicle, it is worth considering an insurance policy that can help with liability and medical expenses if needed.
If you already have an auto insurance policy, you may be able to get a discount by bundling your golf cart insurance with your already existing auto insurance policy. Companies like Good Sam are prime examples.
While Good Sam golf cart insurance doesn’t exactly exist, they do have a bundle deal within their RV policies that include any kind of LSV (low-speed vehicle) that would normally need its own policy.
But it’s a good idea to shop around and compare which states have the cheapest auto insurance rates. In many cases where umbrella policies are not affordable, it may be cheaper to buy a golf cart insurance policy that is separate from your auto insurance.
These policies might be sold as an “off-road vehicle” specialty policy with similar coverage types to an auto insurance policy, and may include liability, collision, and comprehensive insurance.
Let’s look at some of the best auto insurance companies for golf cart insurance.
Progressive Golf Cart Insurance
Progressive golf cart insurance rates may vary based on the types of coverages you select and the make and model of your golf cart. Your age and driving history will also have a factor with the price that you’ll be quoted with.
The best auto insurance companies for golf cart insurance rates will require this information to best determine how much your policy will cost and what kind of coverage fits in with your lifestyle.
Like most cases, Progressive offers a few different discounts and bundle options.
|Multi-policy||Discount added to your golf cart policy if you already have auto, home, renters, boat, or RV insurance with Progressive|
|Pay in full||Discount added for paying your golf cart policy up front and in full|
|Responsible driver||Discount added if you’ve had no accidents or motor vehicle violations in the last three years|
|Homeowners||Discount added for owning a home|
|Prompt payment||Discount added if you pay on time|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
Since golf carts fall under a unique insurance category, Progressive’s standard coverage looks a little bit different than a typical auto policy.
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: although not required in every state, golf cart liability insurance can protect you if you’re liable because you injured someone or damaged their property while riding your golf cart; your court costs and legal fees are also covered up to your policy’s limits.
- Guest passenger liability: If passengers are injured while riding in your golf cart, guest passenger liability will pay for their injuries up to the limits of your policy.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury and property damage: Covers you and any passengers while riding in your golf cart if you’re injured by another driver with no insurance or not enough insurance; you’re also covered if an uninsured or underinsured driver damages your golf cart.
- Comprehensive and collision: If your golf cart is vandalized or stolen, comprehensive pays to repair or replace it. Additionally, comprehensive covers damage from a fire, hitting an animal, an act of nature or glass breakage. If you’re in an accident with another golf cart, object, or even a vehicle on the street, collision coverage will pay for your golf cart’s repairs or replacement.
- Medical payments: Medical payments coverage pays for your hospital bills if you or your passengers are injured in a golf cart accident. While medical payments are optional, coverage is vital if you or your passengers don’t have health insurance.
- Accessory coverage: You may have added a radio, headlights, seat covers or even a custom paint job to your golf cart, and you’ll want to make sure your upgrades are covered. If you carry both comprehensive and collision on your golf cart policy, you’ll automatically earn $3,000 in accessory coverage. You can purchase additional coverage, if necessary, up to $30,000.
If you’re financing your golf cart, your lender may require you to carry comprehensive and collision insurance.
Allstate Golf Cart Insurance
Allstate is another great company that offers affordable insurance for golf carts and other LSVs.
As with any insurance policy, coverage limits will apply. These limits will affect the maximum amount your policy will pay towards a covered claim. You may also need to pay your deductible in order for your claim to be processed properly.
So, what kind of golf cart insurance coverage is available with Allstate? Let’s take a look.
|Property damage liability||If you are found legally responsible for an accident where your golf cart damages another person's property — their car or house, for instance — this coverage may help you pay to repair these damages|
|Bodily injury liability||If you cause an accident with your golf cart that hurts another person, this coverage may help you pay for the other person's medical bills and other related expenses|
|Collision coverage||This coverage may help you pay for repairs to your own golf cart, regardless of who is at fault, if you collide with another cart or object in an accident|
|Comprehensive coverage||If your golf cart is stolen or damaged by something other than a collision — fire or hail, for instance — this coverage may help pay to repair the damage|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
Allstate also offers the ability to increase your liability coverage limits above what’s provided by a golf cart policy if you purchase a separate umbrella insurance policy.
But how can you save on these types of policies? Allstate also provides discounts that allow their customers to take advantage of deep savings and encourages them to stack multiple discounts when available.
- Bundling: insure your golf cart under the same policy that insures your home or car
- Homeowner: qualify for a discount if you are a homeowner
- Payment Options: you may be able to get a discount when you sign up to have your regular payments automatically withdrawn from your bank account or paying for your policy in a lump sum
As with most auto insurance companies, one of the best ways to obtain a significant discount is to buy your golf cart or LSV policy from an insurer with which you already do business. Stacking these kinds of discounts with each other can help offset some of the more expensive costs.
Golf Cart Insurance: The Bottom Line
Finding the best auto insurance companies for golf cart insurance quotes can be tricky. But shopping around doesn’t have to be hard. Keeping in mind that most insurance companies do offer bundling options as well as the option of putting your golf cart under an umbrella policy.
Between both Allstate and Progressive, Progressive offers an extensive amount of policy options and clear-cut discounts that will help with making your bundling easier and more affordable.
Still having trouble deciding on what the best auto insurance companies for golf carts are? Take the time to compare your options to help with figuring out what the right fit for you is. Using our free and easy-to-use tool, simply enter your ZIP code below and start comparing quotes today.