How do I file disability claims for auto insurance companies?
Ensure the success of your claim by (1) collecting information from everyone, (2) taking pictures of the accident, and (3) having the right coverage.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Apr 23, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Whether you’ve had a minor fender bender or totaled your car, it’s a good idea to notify your insurance carrier
- Filing a claim is necessary when you’ve had an auto accident
- Liability covers you in case you have an accident
There are many accidents that are happening in the world today and people are not able to know what to do next.
Although many people have auto insurance coverage, they do not know what to do after such an accident since the procedure to be followed is complex and may require a person with some experience in insurance policy.
Whether it is a simple crash or a major accident it is always better to let your auto insurance company know of the same fact so that they can document everything in case there is a need for compensation.
Compare auto insurance rates and coverage ahead of time to make sure you have the best company for you and reliable coverage. Enter your zip code into our FREE auto insurance comparison tool to compare rates now.
Filing a Report and Determining Blame
Filing a report with the police is also another important thing as all these reports are very crucial to both parties i.e. the insurer and insured as it will make things clear when it comes to compensation.
The compensation will depend on the cover that you had taken also depending on who was wrong or caused the accident.
Assigning blame is a natural part of the process that should come in handy later if the auto insurance company will not pay for a claim.
If you had taken a third party cover this means that you will be only paid if you were not at fault for the accident.
The other car that is involved in the accident and is the cause of the accident is responsible for the payment of the damage that is incurred to your car and to your health.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Compensation in an Accident
If your car is responsible for such an accident, then it will be your auto insurance that will have to pay the other party and you may not be compensated for the damage your car will have.
The above scenario is only if you have a third-party insurance cover.
If you have a comprehensive auto insurance policy, however, then you are qualified to be compensated whether you’re the cause of the accident or not.
Although this is an expensive cover you will be able to get compensation for any kind of accident your car will be involved in.
Advantages of Auto Insurance Coverage
Therefore, there is no need for you to worry when you are involved in an accident as this will be taken care of by your insurance company. The main advantages of getting an auto insurance cover are:
- The first advantage is that in the case of an accident, you will be able to be compensated for the damages that your car will get. This makes it easy for you to be able to regain your past status and therefore saves you future spending on such expenses of servicing your vehicle.
- It is also important to have an insurance cover especially the third-party covers that take charges for the damages caused by your car in case of an accident. For instance, when your car gets involved in an accident and it is the reason for that accident then you will have to use your personal property to compensate the other party car that was damaged during the accident. This may be very costly and it may lead to bankruptcy to the owner of an uninsured vehicle.
- The medical cost that can arise due to an accident may be very costly and the insurance company also takes responsibility for such expenses when you are involved in an accident.
Steps that you should follow immediately you encounter an accident include:
- First, you should ensure that everyone in the car including the other car is all fine and call for medical assistance in case of any injuries or causality.
- The next thing is to call the police and your insurance company immediately to take all the facts of the accident that will be later useful when calculating the compensation. The report of the police is useful in case your insurance company fails to pay the claim that you have made.
- It is also an important thing if you can contact a personal insurance attorney who can give you all the legal options you have when you are in a situation like that. You will be able to know what to do next and in case the company does not want to compensate you as agreed in the contract then you can take legal actions against the firm.
- Ensure that you have taken pictures of the damaged car and some of the factors that may have contributed to the occurrence of the accident for future reference when making the claim. This is one of the most important pieces of evidence you can use in court if the insurer refuses to compensate you.
- You will also need to fill an auto insurance claim in the company that you have taken cover for your vehicle. When filling in this form you will be required to fill your personal details and how the accident occurred.
It is good to know the most careful steps to take ahead of time so that you can be prepared in the case of an accident. Also, be prepared ahead of time with the rates and coverage you receive with your auto insurance company.
Enter your zip code below into our FREE auto insurance comparison tool to compare quotes and choose the right auto insurance company!