Mathew B. Sims is Editor-in-Chief and has authored, edited, and contributed to several books. He has been working in the insurance industry ensuring content is accurate for consumers who are searching for the best policies and rates. He has also been featured on sites like UpJourney.

Full Bio →

Written by

Dan Walker graduated with a BS in Administrative Management in 2005 and has been working in his family’s insurance agency, FCI Agency, for 15 years (BBB A+). He is licensed as an agent to write property and casualty insurance, including home, auto, umbrella, and dwelling fire insurance. He’s also been featured on sites like and Safeco. He reviews content, ensuring that exis...

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Daniel Walker
Licensed Auto Insurance Agent

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.

Things to remember...

  • The SR-50, a form unique to the state of Indiana, refers to an Affidavit of Current Insurance
  • Filing the SR-50 may be required in order to restore driving privileges after a suspension
  • Drivers whose licenses are suspended are typically considered high-risk and as a result, may find it difficult to purchase an insurance policy
  • Online comparison shopping for SR-50 auto insurance may help high-risk drivers find an affordable policy that meets their needs and the state’s requirements

Every state in the country has its own auto insurance and driving laws. Similarities exist among all state laws, but subtle differences are not uncommon.

Indiana auto insurance requirements, for example, include a unique form known as an SR-50, or sometimes SR-50 auto insurance. What is an SR-50 insurance form? It is a form that must be submitted in the Hoosier state for some high-risk drivers and those whose driver’s licenses have been suspended.

Make sure to check out different auto insurance providers by using our free insurance comparison tool to make sure you aren’t overpaying for your auto coverage when you’re shopping for SR-50 insurance.

Table of Contents

SR-50 Forms and Auto Insurance Coverage

As we noted previously, SR-50 form requirements are unique to Indiana. So what does this mean for you? Do you need SR-50 insurance in Indianapolis? What about non-owner SR-50 insurance? Just what is SR-50 insurance? Keep reading to find out the answers to these and other questions.

What is an SR-50 form?

The full title of an SR-50 form is an “Affidavit of Current Insurance.” As the name suggests, the form contains proof that a driver currently carries car insurance.

Specifically, under the state’s auto insurance laws, the driver must carry the minimum amount of insurance required in Indiana, which is summarized in this table.

Indiana Minimum Liability Coverage Requirements
Liability Coverage TypesMinimum Amount of Coverage Required
Bodily Injury$25,000 per person
$50,000 per accident
Property Damage$10,000
Get Your Rates Quote Now

Compare RatesStart Now →

At the state level, no requirement exists to purchase more than the minimum coverage amount.

However, newly written auto policies must include coverage for bodily injury and property damage caused by uninsured/underinsured motorists. Policyholders have the option to reject this coverage in writing.

In most cases, an SR-50 form is only necessary if you receive a notification from the state informing you of the requirement. This is usually the result of an incident in which you were found to be driving without insurance.

You may also be required to obtain an SR-50 form if your license was suspended. In this case, the requirement is part of the process for getting your license reinstated.

If required by the state, your insurance company will issue the SR-50 form, which will then be sent to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) as proof of financial responsibility.

Why do I need an SR-50 form?

When you purchase an insurance policy, that automatically comes with proof of coverage, so why do you need an SR-50 form? Wouldn’t simply printing out a copy of your policy as proof of insurance and mailing it to the state be sufficient?

No. When high-risk drivers are required to provide proof of insurance through an SR-50 form, the state wants official paperwork from the SR-50 auto insurance company, rather than relying on the driver to provide it.

Additionally, certain forms are designed to reflect specific circumstances related to the driver’s history. A standard proof of insurance card would not be sufficient for these drivers.

Again, an SR-50 comes into play for high-risk drivers, including those whose driving privileges have been suspended due to recklessness behind the wheel. The state won’t reinstate a driver’s license unless the SR-50 document is filed with the Indiana BMV.

Free Auto Insurance Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Proof of Auto Insurance Requirements in Indiana

In addition to the SR-50, drivers may also be required to work with their insurers to present a Certificate of Compliance (COC), which is a stricter proof of insurance requirement than in many other states. The Indiana BMV COC form must be filed if any of these four conditions are met:

  • An auto accident occurs and an accident report is submitted to the BMV.
  • The driver receives a “pointable” moving violation within one year of committing two other pointable violations.
  • The driver’s traffic violation is considered either a misdemeanor or a felony.
  • A driver, after a prior suspension for failing to provide proof of insurance, receives a pointable violation.

In addition to these four conditions, the COC may be required under other circumstances if the state deems it necessary. Per the law, Indiana may request proof of insurance at will and under any circumstances.

Ultimately, the state wants to be absolutely sure a high-risk driver carries insurance.

Why is minimum coverage required?

If your driver’s license was suspended, the state of Indiana will require basic basic auto insurance is in place before restoring lost driving privileges, as a method of managing risk both for you and others on the road.

Why? Because someone whose driving habits resulted in accruing enough points to suspend their license is extremely high-risk and is more likely to be an accident risk than the average driver.

Clearly, someone who chooses not to carry insurance, in violation of the state’s rules, reflects a risk. So providing the BMV with an SR-50 a proof of insurance is necessary before the state will to reissue a license.

For high risk drivers, one major concern is how to purchase affordable SR-50 auto insurance after a suspension and a poor driving history.

While finding high risk auto insurance coverage can be difficult, it is possible. And comparison shopping for quality car insurance can help you find better rates.

Free Auto Insurance Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a high risk driver?

High-risk drivers are typically those with numerous moving violations on their record. As you might expect, drivers with multiple points on their record, those who have been convicted of DUI, or have had their license suspended are considered high-risk. However, a policyholder whose insurance history shows numerous claims may also be considered high-risk.

As we noted earlier, finding insurance as a high-risk driver can be difficult (not every insurance company wants to take on the extra cost associated with insuring high-risk drivers). As a result, it pays to be strategic about shopping for insurance. For example, if you only speak to one or two auto insurance companies, you might find yourself unable to find a policy.

However, instead of reaching out to individual insurance companies, one recommended option is to online comparison shop. This way, you can get multiple SR-50 auto insurance quotes from different car insurance companies so you can see who offers the best coverage at the most affordable price.

While high-risk auto insurance comes with far higher rates than standard auto insurance, with comparison shopping, you may still be able to find competitive SR-50 auto insurance rates.

Do high-risk drivers need to add more coverage?

The cost of acquiring mandatory minimum coverage may be higher for a previously suspended driver than someone with no infractions, so finding cheap SR-50 insurance in Indiana may be difficult.

We don’t currently have rates for high-risk drivers in Indiana, but in this table we’ve summarized the average rates for core coverage options for all drivers in the state as a baseline.

Indiana Average Annual and Monthly Auto Insurance Rates by Coverage Type
Auto Insurance Coverage TypesAverage Annual RatesAverage Monthly Rates
Comprehensive Coverage$115.02$9.59
Collision Coverage$237.19$19.77
Liability Coverage$372.44$31.04
Full Coverage$724.65$60.39
Get Your Rates Quote Now

Compare RatesStart Now →

Expect to pay more than the rates in this table if you’re a high-risk driver. And for a quick summary of the core coverages in the table, take a minute to watch this video.

While higher rates may mean drivers consider sticking to the minimum coverage requirement only, this is not necessarily recommended. In general, drivers should be more concerned about civil judgments than higher rates.

Paying for additional liability coverage as well as add-on coverage such as collision or comprehensive would probably be a good move.

High-risk drivers should consider purchasing enough coverage to protect themselves financially in the event of another incident.

The protections afforded by insurance should never be overlooked or taken for granted. Purchasing a reliable amount of coverage is in the best interest of all drivers—high-risk included.

The Bottom Line for SR-50 Insurance

SR-50 form is generally required by the state when you’re considered a particularly high-risk driver (specifically when you’ve been caught driving without insurance). In addition, high-risk drivers whose licenses have been suspended will be required to produce an SR-50 form as a part of the process of license reinstatement.

Drivers struggling with previous moving violations and license suspensions may feel overwhelmed when it comes to purchasing auto insurance. But this process doesn’t have to be difficult or overly time-consuming.

You can quickly and easily get quotes from multiple companies that offer high-risk insurance coverage by comparison shopping.

Free Auto Insurance Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Frequently Asked Questions: SR-50 Insurance

Still have questions about SR-50 forms and SR-50 insurance in Indiana? Read these frequently asked questions for more.

#1. What is the difference between SR-22 and SR-50 insurance?

Both SR-50 and SR-22 forms provide proof of insurance. However, there are a couple of differences. What is SR-22 insurance?

Let’s take a look at SR-50 vs. SR-22 auto insurance.

  • The SR-50 is proof of current insurance – this means the form certifies that you currently carry the legally required minimum level of car insurance in Indiana
  • The SR-22 is proof of future insurance – this means it the form certifies that you will carry the legal minimum amount of car insurance for a specific period into the future (usually 3 years)

Regardless of which form you’re required to have, your insurance company will electronically file it with the Indiana BMV.

 #2. What is a non-pointable violation in Indiana?

A non-pointable traffic violation is typically one that is classified as a non-moving violation, while moving violations are usually considered pointable.

What is the difference between a moving violation and a non-moving violation? A moving violation is one that typically occurs while you’re behind the wheel and the vehicle is in motion. These can include speeding, running a red light, not using your turn signal, etc.

By contrast, non-moving violations typically include citations for improper parking, inability to provide proof of adequate insurance, etc.

Use your ZIP code in our free quote tool to start comparison shopping for high risk insurance today. Once you have the necessary coverage, you can work with the company to buy SR-50 auto insurance and fill out and submit your SR-50 form.