What discounts does Farmers offer?
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Oct 21, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Farmers insurance markets products to the public through exclusive agents in all 50 states
- The company has its own set of underwriting guidelines and offers competitive rates to specific target niches
- The company doesn’t offer the lowest base rates in the industry but does offer some of the best discounts
- Some notable discounts available include: Claims Free, Continuous Coverage, Switching Carriers, and Early Signing
- The best way to save on insurance premiums is to compare several premiums to those that are offered at Farmers
Farmers Insurance is a traditional auto insurance carrier that appoints exclusive agents who run their own offices to exclusively sell Farmers products. As one of the longest running insurers in the car insurance industry, Farmers has retained a large market share by offering superior customer service even with its traditional face-to-face selling model.
If you’re shopping around for low-cost auto insurance, your number one mission should be to find a carrier with lots of discounts to offer. Some companies are much more committed than others to offer a long list of car insurance discounts.
To get started searching for rates in your area, enter your ZIP code above.
Farmers insurance offers a long menu of discounts that could cut your premiums in half. Here’s your complete guide to Farmers Insurance discounts:
What are state-specific insurance discounts vs. carrier discounts?
Farmers Insurance will offer you either a company-specific or a state-specific discount. If a car insurance discount is state-specific, that means that officials with the Department of Insurance will regulate and oversee rate information so that all carriers offer drivers who qualify the savings. Usually, Good Driver, Senior Driver, and other driver-related discounts are required by the state. All other discounts are part of Farmers Insurance program.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
The Types of Discounts Offered By Farmers Insurance
The types of discounts that are offered to you will vary from carrier to carrier. Out of all of the leading insurers in the industry, Farmers offers a total of 34 different ways to cut premiums. The largest number of discounts in the industry is 38, so the company isn’t far behind.
Here’s how Farmers stacks up against some of the larger companies in the U.S.:
|Discounts||Allstate||American Family||Farmers||Geico||Liberty Mutual||Nationwide||Progressive||State Farm||Travelers||USAA|
|Discounts Provided #||29||27||34||32||38||35||36||20||28||28|
|Adaptive Cruise Control||x||x||x|
|Daytime Running Lights||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Electronic Stability Control||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Forward Collision Warning||x||x||x|
|Lane Departure Warning||x||x||x|
|New Customer/New Plan||x|
|On Time Payments||x||x|
|Seat Belt Use||x|
|Students & Alumni||x||x||x||x|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
All 34 discounts offered will fall into one of three different categories: driver discounts, vehicle discounts, and policy discounts. If you look at your premium quote without any discounts versus the amount you’d pay with a dozen of the discounts stacked one on top of the other, you’d be shocked to see how big of a difference they make. Here are the savings to look for by type:
Driver Discounts from Farmers
Drivers who have tickets and accidents will have surcharges on their rates as long as they are within the chargeable period. You don’t just pay more because of the surcharge, you also pay more because you’re a higher risk. Fortunately, Farmers offers discounts that aren’t strictly related to driving record. Here are a few to look for:
- Defensive Driver (for drivers 50 and older who graduate an approved driver education course)
- Distant Student (for students located 100 miles or more away from home)
- Driver’s Ed (for drivers under 21 who complete a teen smart driving course)
- Good Student (GPA of 3.0 or higher)
- Federal Employee
- Occupation (discounts for occupations where drivers are statistically in fewer accidents)
- Senior Driver
- Safe Driver
Vehicle Discounts from Farmers
Every car that you insure has its own vehicle classification code, also known as an ISO code. These codes affect your Bodily Injury, Property Damage, and Physical Damage premiums. It has to do with rating your premiums. You can qualify for vehicle discounts that will keep your premiums down. Here are the vehicle-related discounts offered by Farmers:
- Adaptive Headlights
- Anti-lock Brakes
- Anti-theft (passive or active)
- Electronic Stability Control
- Daytime Running Lights
- Green Vehicle (for electric cars and hybrids)
- Newer Vehicle
- Utility Vehicle
- Farm Vehicle
- Passive Restraint
- Garaging or Storage
- Vehicle Recovery (for LoJack and OnStar)
- VIN Etching
Policy Discounts from Farmers
Some discounts don’t fall into the driver or the vehicle category. These are simply classified as policy discounts. They may drive your total premiums down a certain percentage or they may drive just the premiums for a certain portion of the policy down. Here’s a comprehensive list of Farmers’ policy discounts:
- Claim Free (policyholders with no at-fault claims in the last three years)
- Continuous Coverage (policyholders who have verifiable proof of prior coverage)
- Early Signing (sign up for insurance 7 days or more before your old policy expires)
- Family Plan (for combining insuring with other family members)
- Full Payment (paying all of the premiums at once)
- Low Mileage (when you drive a car less than 5000 miles per year)
- Multi-policy (for maintaining two or more lines of insurance with the carrier)
- Multi-car (for insuring two or more companies with the company)
- Paperless Documents
- Auto Billing
- Transfer Discount (if you are switching from Travelers or AAA)
How can you find out which discounts you qualify for?
When you’re shopping the marketplace for a policy, the only way to make a fully educated decision is to see what more than just a couple carriers will charge you. You might have your mind set on doing business with an A-rated company like Farmers, but that doesn’t mean to keep a narrow mind. You should get at least four or five quotes to find the best deal and to see which discounts you’ll be eligible for.
When you’re soliciting quotes online, the quoting tool will have a bunch of fields with options. As you select the options, the system will highlight which discounts you’ll receive and what your rate for each selected coverage option will be. This is why online quoting are so convenient. If you want to get instant quotes for coverage from Farmers and its competitors, use a comparison tool online and request the information only once.