Auto Insurance for Bus Drivers
You are covered under the bus company's auto insurance policy as a bus driver. You will need a CDL license with a passenger's endorsement to operate a bus.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Oct 26, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- You can’t drive legally on U.S. roads without the required auto insurance coverage in almost all U.S. states
- As a bus driver, you are probably insured by the bus company. However, if you need to drive your own car, you will need car insurance for your personal vehicle
- Getting the appropriate type and level of coverage will save you money in premiums and keep you adequately protected
- To get the best rates to keep you and the rest of your household properly insured, you will have to get as many quotes as possible and compare rates
There are no specialized bus driver auto insurers or discounts, therefore bus drivers will get the same rates and discounts other people get if they qualify.
However, auto insurance providers tend to give lower quotes to professional drivers. Bus drivers are highly trained professional drivers that should exploit that avenue.
Compare quotes side-by-side today to get the best rate possible.
The Most Important Types of Coverage for Bus Drivers
It makes no financial sense to purchase auto insurance policies you probably don’t need. In addition to that, nobody really enjoys writing checks to car insurance providers every month.
Below, we have detailed the essential types of coverage and tips to getting the right amount of protection at a cheaper price.
– Liability Coverage
In most cases, this type of coverage is required to drive in U.S. states legally.
If you get into an accident and it is determined that your actions on the road led to the unfortunate incident, liability coverage will cover the costs of resultant bodily injuries as well as the damage to the vehicle or any other third party property.
Of course, the level of coverage will depend on the set limits.
If the financial loss from an at-fault accident exceeds your coverage limit, you will have to pay for the upper limit of the settlement from your own pocket.
If you can afford it, it is important to purchase liability coverage above the state-mandated level which will add an extra layer of protection. That way, you won’t have dig deep into your pockets if you get involved in an at-fault accident.
– Personal Injury Protection
Some states include personal injury protection (PIP) in their auto insurance laws as a requirement for all drivers.
If you get in an accident and you or other occupants in your car sustain bodily injuries, PIP will cover all medical expenses even if the accident was your fault.
Depending on your insurer and your coverage, PIP may even pay for the funeral expenses in case of any deaths resulting from the accident.
– Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection
Despite all the state laws demanding all motorists to get minimum liability coverage, there’s still a high number of uninsured drivers out there.
The uninsured/underinsured coverage protects you from financial losses if you get hit by an uninsured or an underinsured driver.
Worse still, you could be a victim of a hit and run. The uninsured/underinsured is a policy you can ill afford to skimp on, given that it’s one of the cheapest policies in the insurance business.
– Comprehensive Coverage
If it fits into your budget, comprehensive coverage is an important policy to have on your vehicle. This type of coverage will pay for the damages to your vehicle caused by natural disasters, vandalism as well as theft.
Whether or not you purchase this coverage depends on the value of your car. It’s probably not worth it if you drive a relatively old inexpensive car.
If you decide to buy this coverage, installing anti-theft tracking devices in your vehicle can slightly reduce the coverage costs.
– Collision Coverage
This coverage will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing the vehicle in the event of a covered accident.
Your auto insurer will pay for the market value of the vehicle if it’s totaled if the cost of fixing the damage exceeds 70 percent of the vehicle’s value.
There are other types of auto insurance coverage suitable for bus drivers, but these are the most critical ones. You can purchase a combination of all of them to get what is commonly referred to as full coverage, or you can select either of them as you see fit.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Cutting Down Auto Insurance Costs
- Don’t pay for coverage you don’t need. Research on your own and decide what you need and what you don’t.
- Avoid getting flagged for traffic offenses. This will ruin your driving records and raise your rates. You are a bus driver; you should know all the rules. Follow them.
- If it’s possible, pay upfront. You may be subjected to interests if you spread your payments throughout the year.
- Start your search for car insurance early. The earlier you start comparing, the higher the chances of getting a better quote.
- If you have an older, more experienced driver in your household, add them to the policy and significantly drop your rates.
- Apply for organizational, low-mileage, professional discounts as well as any other types of discounts you qualify for.
Compare multiple quotes until you find a cheaper, appropriate quote from a reputable insurer.
Be a responsible citizen and drive with the right amount of coverage both for your sake and for the sake of other road users.
Compare car insurance quotes today using our free and easy tool.