Geico Discounts: What discounts does Geico offer?
If you read our list of Geico discounts below you will discover that Geico offers 31 different discounts including the Geico student discount, the Geico good driver discount, the Geico multi-car discount, the Geico defensive driving discount, the Geico VIN etching discount, the Geico government employee discount, and many more!
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jul 4, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Geico auto insurance originally sold auto insurance strictly to government employees and now offers personal products for all
- The company is dedicated to service and that shows because 80% of their customers give the insurer 5-star ratings
- Geico offers competitive rates to a variety of consumers and most drivers will qualify for at least some discounts
- When you want to find a good deal on your coverage, shop the market in your region and also shop for discounts
- Some of the most notable discounts offered by Geico include: Accident-Free, Loyalty, Good Student and Military
Geico offers many different auto insurance discounts but what many consumers don’t actually know that Geico was originally in business to sell insurance strictly to federal employees and their families. Interestingly enough, many consumers don’t know the company’s name is an acronym for Government Employees Insurance Company.
From 1936 all the way to 1973, Geico strictly sold insurance to government employees and military personnel at a discount.
In 1974, Geico’s marketing and underwriting focus changed forever because the company started to sell coverage to the general public. While this transition was marked by some downs, ultimately the company rebounded to become the second-largest auto insurance company in the country.
While the company does receive good customer satisfaction rankings, there’s always room for growth as Geico has a #20 ranking through JD Power.
Shopping for auto insurance can easily be mistaken as a chore. It’s not something you really look forward to unless you know you can save money by putting in a little effort.
Enter your ZIP code above to start searching for great insurance rates in your area.
If you’re thinking about buying insurance through Geico, one of your focuses should be getting auto discounts. You know the company is fiscally superior, but so are a lot of companies. Here’s a guide to Geico auto insurance discount offerings and then be sure to read our Geico auto insurance review.
Do all companies offered the same discounts?
If all companies offered all of the same discounts, you’d get the same savings no matter where you went. All auto insurance companies, no matter how big or small they are, offer their own variety of discounts very much like companies offer their own rates. This is the only way that the market could stay competitive.
The only time a discount will be offered by all insurers in the state is when it’s required by state officials. Some states, like the state of California, require Good Driver or Safe Driver discounts because they award the driver for safe driving. Before you start all of the comparison shopping it helps to know if the carrier is competing with others when it comes to their discount menu.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Types of Discounts Offered By Geico
You can classify auto insurance discounts in one of three categories: driver, vehicle, and policy discounts. Geico offers 31 different discounts. It’s not the most in the industry but it’s also not the least. Currently, MetLife and Liberty Mutual lead the pack with the most discounts coming in at 38.
How does Geico compare to some of the larger companies in the U.S.? Take a look:
|Discounts||Allstate||American Family||Farmers||Geico||Liberty Mutual||Nationwide||Progressive||State Farm||Travelers||USAA|
|Discounts Provided #||29||27||34||32||38||35||36||20||28||28|
|Adaptive Cruise Control||x||x||x|
|Daytime Running Lights||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Electronic Stability Control||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Forward Collision Warning||x||x||x|
|Lane Departure Warning||x||x||x|
|New Customer/New Plan||x|
|On Time Payments||x||x|
|Seat Belt Use||x|
|Students & Alumni||x||x||x||x|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
Here’s a breakdown of all of the discounts Geico offers:
Geico Driver Discounts
When you buy insurance, the agent will ask you to name every licensed driver in the home. This includes both drivers who can access your car regularly and those who have their own insurance. Drivers with their own coverage won’t be rated. Any rated driver in your household that’s listed on your policy is eligible for the following driver-related discounts when you buy coverage from Geico:
- Accident Free (5 years of no accidents)
- Defensive Driver (3 year discount for mature drivers who complete an approved class)
- Distant Student (for college students 25 and younger who are attending school 100 or more miles away)
- Driver’s Ed (drivers under 21 can receive special credit for completing a teen driving course)
- Good Student (GPA of 3.0 or higher for students between 15 and 24 years old)
- Federal Employee Eagle Discount (active or retired Federal employees)
- Further Education (drivers who earn a 4-year degree or higher)
- Occupation (discounts for a long list of occupations only in AZ)
- Safe Driver
- Students and Alumni of certain universities
Geico Vehicle Discounts
Not every car costs the same amount of money to insure. Some cars cost more to repair, more to maintain, and more to replace. All of these factors have to be considered when a carrier is classifying the car. Fortunately, the VIN tells the insurer a lot about a car. You may get discounts off of your premiums if your cars have the following features:
- Anti-lock Brakes
- Anti-theft (larger savings for an active alarm that disables the engine)
- Daytime Running Lights (only in LA and NY)
- Farm Vehicle
- Newer Vehicle (5 years old or newer)
- Seat Belt Use
- Utility Vehicle
- Passive Restraint
- Vehicle Recovery (for LoJack and OnStar only available in NY, CA, NJ, RI, and MA)
Geico Policy Discounts
If you’ve purchased insurance in the past, that can save you. You can also save money by purchasing your insurance in advance and staying with Geico for at least a few years. Policy discounts can be stacked one on top of the other so that you can save a significant amount of money. Here are the policy discounts to look for from Geico:
- Continuous Coverage (3 years of coverage without any gaps)
- Early Signing (must activate coverage 7 days before the policy effective date)
- Emergency Deployment
- Family Legacy (teen driver branches off from their parents’ policy)
- Full Payment
- Low Mileage
- Loyalty (grows as you stay with the company for multiple terms)
- Multi-policy (for maintaining property insurance and auto insurance with Geico)
- Membership and Group Discounts
- Multi-car (for buying insurance on 2 or more household vehicles with Geico)
You won’t know how much each discount will save you until you get a rate quote. Quotes are estimates to show you how much you’ll pay for a selected type of coverage through the carrier.
You could get online quotes direct through Geico’s site, or you could use another comparison tool and get quotes that you can compare to each other all at once. See how much Geico discounts save you by entering your information, and the savings will be automatically applied.
To find what rates are available near you, enter your ZIP code in the box below.