What is the most protective auto insurance company?
Auto insurance customer surveys are performed by (1) JD Power, (2) A.M. Best, (3) and Consumer Reports. Find the best policy for you by comparing coverage from different insurers.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 2, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- When you are purchasing car insurance, you want a company that will process your claim quickly and meet their responsibilities according to your policy agreement
- When you are looking for the most protection available, it is important to comparison shop between auto insurance providers
- Once you have identified several good, stable auto insurance companies, it is time to determine what kind of insurance coverage you need and the level of coverage you want
When you are buying auto insurance, you should choose a car insurance company that will give you the best protection possible.
While it can be tempting to choose car insurance that is the cheapest available that may not always translate into an insurance company that will actually provide you with quality protection, should you get in an accident and need to use your insurance.
Enter your ZIP code into our FREE comparison tool to find the best auto insurance rates for you!
Evaluating an Insurance Company
There are literally thousands of low-cost auto insurance companies that offer auto insurance in the United States.
However, when you are purchasing car insurance, you want a company that will process your claim quickly and meets their responsibilities according to your policy agreement.
JD Powers and Associates ranks car insurance companies based on consumer surveys. Use these rankings to determine the highest rated auto insurance companies.
These rankings are issued annually and including consumer responses regarding customer services, policy prices, communication, and overall satisfaction.
The highest-ranking auto insurance companies in the 2011 National Auto Insurance Survey from JD Powers and Associates are Amica Mutual, ALFA Insurance, and American Family Insurance.
Another source of information for the financial stability of an insurance company is from rating companies.
AM Best, Standard & Poor’s and Fitch are the best-known insurance rating companies and you can research specific auto insurance companies online through their websites.
The Better Business Bureau is also an excellent source of free information about auto insurance companies. When evaluating prospective car insurance providers, look for companies that are certified by the BBB and which have low rates of complaints.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Once you have identified several good, stable auto insurance companies, it is time to determine what kind of insurance coverage you need and the level of coverage you want.
Almost all car insurance companies offer some form of financial protection in the simple fact of providing insurance coverage. However, it is important that you choose the right kind of protection for your situation and needs.
- Liability Auto Insurance – Liability insurance is what is required in 47 states as minimum mandatory car insurance to register your car and drive it legally. In most cases, liability insurance is the least expensive type of car insurance to purchase. Although state requirements are often low for liability insurance, the minimum amount of coverage provides you with very little protection. It is recommended that you purchase additional car liability insurance if you can afford to do so. Liability car insurance provides you with protection by paying for damages to another person’s car if you hit them and are found responsible. In addition to property damage, liability insurance also pays for injuries to the other driver and their passengers. It does not provide protection for your car or injuries you or your passengers sustain.
- Collision Auto Insurance – Collision auto insurance is not mandatory insurance coverage. It provides you with protection by paying for damages to your car if you are involved in an accident. In addition to covering repairs caused by hitting another vehicle, it also pays for damages that are the result of hitting buildings, fences or other stationary objects. It also pays for damages that are the result of hitting an animal.
- Comprehensive Auto Insurance – Comprehensive car insurance pays for repairs that are the result of any accidents or events that are not the result of your car being involved in an accident. It pays for loss if your car is stolen or vandalized. Additionally, it also pays for damage that is the result of storms, hail, floods or fire.
- Personal Injury Protection Coverage – Personal injury protection car insurance is also known as PIP or no-fault insurance and is mandatory in 15 states. PIP insurance provides payments for medical expenses related to auto accidents. In addition to paying for medical treatment and hospital expenses, it also can be applied to rehabilitation expenses, lost wages and legal fees related to legal defense.
When you are looking for the most protection available, it is important to comparison shop between auto insurance providers.
In addition to evaluating an insurance company’s financial stability and consumer satisfaction reports, it is also important to consider policy premium rates and benefits included with car insurance policies.
For example, some insurance companies provide concierge services if your car needs to be repaired. They may provide you with temporary transportation through contracted rental car companies.
Other additional benefits include roadside assistance, towing and travel assistance services.
You can easily find multiple quotes for auto insurance premium rates from websites. These websites are extremely convenient to use and only require you to enter your information one time to receive rate quotes from several companies.
You can also go directly to car insurance websites and find a great deal of information available. Often insurance company websites outline other types of insurance they provide, along with any other financial services available.
Research All Your Considerations
Independent insurance brokers also are an excellent source of information regarding auto insurance providers and rate quotes.
Most independent insurance brokers and agents represent multiple insurance providers, so they can provide you with rate quotes from a number of companies.
Another advantage to working with an independent insurance broker is that they often will review your insurance policy each time it comes up for renewal and help you evaluate your insurance needs.
Purchasing car insurance is an extremely important decision. Before making a purchasing decision, be sure to compare insurance company providers and research their financial stability and customer satisfaction rates.
It is always a good idea to evaluate at least three companies before making a decision regarding buying auto insurance coverage. Enter your ZIP code into our FREE car insurance comparison tool to find the best protection.